Freihofer’s Training Challenge
The Freihofer's Training Challenge prepares you to run in the Freihofer's Run for Women 5k using a popular Couch to 5k Training Program. We will be offering a beginner program for those who are new to running. An intermediate program is a great option for those who completed last year's challenge or want more interval workouts. Our advanced program is for those athletes ready for focused speed and distance workouts. Athletes should already be able to run five (5) or more miles at a time.
For 10 weeks starting March 20, give your motivation a boost, improve your performance and make some new friends by joining the challenge. We have a number of workouts available over the course of the week to fit your busy schedule.
Once you join the Training Challenge, you’ll join your mentors in a fun training program based on the Couch to 5k Training Program. Through this popular fitness program, you’ll be trained to first walk, then jog and finally run the event’s 3.1 miles (intermediate/advanced program participants will have a different run workouts).
Weekly training schedule:
- Mondays choose from The Corning Preserve 6:30a or The Crossings of Colonie (choose 1p or 6p)
- Wednesday choose from 6p at the Southern Saratoga Y (childcare available for a minimal fee) or 6p at Alpin Haus Fitness in Amsterdam
- Thursdays 6p at iRun LOCAL in Saratoga Springs.
One day a week you will workout on your own and then we all gather on Saturdays together. Saturdays at 8:30 a.m. at Colonie Mohawk River Park. On Saturdays we will be joined by personal trainers from VENT Fitness who will lead you through bodyweight strength exercises after our workouts!
How to Register
You can sign up for the Training Challenge when you register online for the Freihofer's Run 5k. Online registration through the 5k registration is the only method of registering for this program. The cost of the program is $55. The Virtual Program is $10. If you are already registered for the 5K but want to join the program, e-mail email@example.com.
Freihofer's Couch to 5K
Those taking part will receive:
- NEW this year: Our partner VENT Fitness is offering 3 months FREE to all women who sign up for the Training Challenge and cross the finish line on June 3!! This is a $90 value.
- VENT Fitness will have trainers at a number of our Saturday workouts ready to run with you and then lead you through a bodyweight strength workout or a yoga session
- VENT Fitness is offering FREE Level II membership to the first 25 to sign up for the Training Challenge ($90 value). The next 50 ladies get 50% and everyone gets 25% off a Level II membership all with $0 enrollment. These memberships will run from March 20-June 3, 2017.
- The Sage Colleges is another new partner for 2017. The college will be offering everyone a body composition and blood pressure reading at the beginning of the challenge and 10 weeks later ($50 value).
- Dr. Ryan Mitchell, Professor of Nutrition Science at The Sage Colleges will present a nutrition education series over the course of our ten weeks.
- A unique Freihofer's Run for Women Training Challenge t-shirt
- Weekly nutrition and injury prevention tips
- Race day recognition
- ...and a highly-rewarding experience -- all for only $55!
Don't forget to join us on our Freihofer's Training Challenge Facebook page!
If you have any questions, please email the Freihofer's Run for Women at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maps & Locations
- 6 a.m. - The Albany Corning Preserve (Jennings Landing) (Get driving directions)
- 1 p.m. - The Crossings of Colonie (580 Albany Shaker Road) (Get driving directions)
- 6 p.m. - The Crossings of Colonie (580 Albany Shaker Road) (Get driving directions)
- 6 p.m. - Southern Saratoga YMCA (1 Wall Street, Clifton Park) (Free child care available during the session.) (Get driving directions)
- 6 p.m. - Alpin Haus Fitness Center (4850 Route 30N, Amsterdam) (Get driving directions)
- 6 p.m. - iRunLocal (18 Congress Street, #3, Saratoga Springs) (Get driving directions)
- 8:30 a.m. - Colonie Mohawk River Park (Get driving directions)
Q. Do I have to be registered for the Freihofer's Run for Women to be able to sign up for the Training Challenge?
Q. What's the difference between the Full Training Challenge and Virtual Training Challenge?
A. The The Full Freihofer's Training Challenge is a paid program that involves coaching and group training workouts. You can sign up when you register for the Freihofer's Run 5K or by e-mailing email@example.com. The Virtual Training Challenge is the e-mail aspect where participants receive e-mails that include the day's workouts and tips for a successful race. The Virtual Program is just $10. All Full Freihofer's Training Challenge participants automatically get signed up for these e-mails.
Q. I'm not receiving the e-mails. What do I do?
A. If you signed up and haven't seen any e-mails, please check your spam folder and make sure that "firstname.lastname@example.org" has been added to your Address Book or sign up for the Virtual Program with another e-mail address. Otherwise, please e-mail "email@example.com” with details and we will try to help.
Q. Where do Full Freihofer's Training Challenge participants meet?
A. A. Group workouts are held Mondays at: The Corning Preserve (6:30a) and Crossings of Colonie (1p and 6p); Wednesdays at 6p at either the Southern Saratoga Y or Alpin Haus Fitness; Thursdays at iRun LOCAL at 6p and at Colonie Mohawk River Park Saturdays at 8:30 a. The address for Colonie Mohawk River Park is 71 Schermerhorn Road Cohoes, NY 12047.
Disclaimer: The information presented by trainers and educators at weekly training sessions is solely informational so that participants can learn more on different health subjects. Nothing contained in the presentations or discussions is intended to constitute, nor should it be considered, medical advice or to serve as a substitute for the advice of a physician or health care provider. Any information provided is not intended to treat or cure any disease or condition. Always consult your health care provider for all health, diet and weight loss management.
The information should not be considered complete, nor should it be relied on to suggest a course of treatment for a particular individual, nor is it intended to refer you to a particular medical professional or health care provider. It should not be used in place of a visit to, consultation with or advice of a qualified health care provider.
The material is made available with the understanding that we are not engaged in providing diagnostic and treatment advice in this setting. Should you have health care questions, call or see your qualified health care provider promptly. You should never disregard medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have heard during any portion of the training program. No promises are being made that the information in the presentations will be error free, or that it will provide specific results.
Participation is solely at your own risk. By participating in the training program you understand and acknowledge that everyone that contributes any information during the training program disclaims any liability to you, and all such persons are not liable for losses or damages which may result through the use of information, products and services in the presentations or any other material or information exchanged or related to the training challenge.